The Best Toys for High Energy Australian Shepherds
Toy Australian Shepherds are working dogs with high energy levels.
They are lovable and wonderful pets to own but it does take some practice to learn how to effectively handle their high energy levels.
In this article, we’ll look at the high energy issue in more detail, talk about strategies for managing your Toy Australian Shepherd’s energy levels and then finally do a few reviews on the best toys for your high energy Toy Australian Shepherd.
The High Energy of Toy Australian Shepherds
All dogs are usually pretty energetic but the Toy Australian Shepherd’s genetic makeup makes them full of pent up energy, so if they’re left to their own devices they will start to get destructive. Imagine feeling ready to run a marathon but being forced to sit behind your office desk all day. You’ll get antsy and frustrated pretty quickly.
Toy Australian Shepherds are no different. They need a LOT of exercise and play time to help release that energy in safe, beneficial ways instead of by crashing through all your precious valuables and chewing up your favorite shoes. It’s important to make sure you give your pooch plenty of opportunities to exercise and release that energy.
Strategies for Managing Toy Australian Shepherd Energy Levels
Here are a few tips for managing those high energy levels:
• Go for a run: This is great for your own health as well so you should definitely consider it. Wake up a little earlier and go for a morning run with your pooch. They will absolutely love it and it will keep you motivated to stick to an exercise program yourself!
• Go for lots and lots of walks: whether you choose to add a running routine or not, you will also want to include plenty of walking time. Take them out as often as you can. Consider picking them up on your lunch break to go spend time in the park.
• Play time: your pup will need lots and lots of play time playing fetch, tug o’ war, chase, or anything else that gets them using up energy. Don’t neglect this.
• Big yard: a nice big yard with plenty of room to run around in is very beneficial for a Toy Australian Shepherd so that even while you’re away, they can still run around and use up energy.
• Toys: good, quality toys that they can chew on as aggressively as they like is a great way to direct their energy away from chewing on their own tail. See below for some suggestions on which toys to buy.
• Sports: take your dog out to a park when you can for a round of Frisbee and other dog friendly sports.
• Other dogs: dog parks and friends with dogs will be a life saver when you are simply too exhausted. Other dogs will have energy levels and stamina to burn so they don’t have to stop when a human gets tired out. Plus, it’s a great chance to meet new people or spend some time catching up with your friends.
The benefit to having such a high energy dog is that it motivates you to get on your feet and be more active as well. Both of you will benefit from getting plenty of exercise and play time!
The Best Toys to Contain a Toy Australian Shepherd’s High Energy
When shopping for toys to satisfy your Toy Australian Shepherd’s needs, the most important things to look for will be durability and quality. Cheaper toys may have an attractive price but your pooch is going to destroy them in no time.
You need to invest in quality if you want something that will actually last. So with that in mind, here are our top 3 picks for toys to contain a Toy Australian Shepherd’s energy.
They are chosen precisely for their quality and durability.
KONG Classic Dog Toy
These odd looking toys are super durable and fun. They are made of durable rubber. It’s weird shape causes it to bounce in unpredictable ways which makes it that much more exciting to play with. More importantly, you can stuff treats inside which guarantee your dog will chew with determination to get the treats out so they will not be sparing with their energy.
This also helps with separation anxiety.
You can fill it up with treats just before you leave and your dog will spend a good 20 minutes working on getting those treats. It’s this first 20 minutes when a dog’s anxiety is usually at its peak so that’s the essential time to keep them happily working on getting treats so they learn to enjoy their alone time.
On the other hand, make sure you don’t fall into the habit of giving out too many treats. Treats should stay treats so allow your pet to play with it even when it’s empty, too.
Overall, it’s an awesome deal. It’s a low price, durable, high quality product and it is super fun. This is highly recommended.
Otterly Pets Puppy Dog Pet Rope Toys for Small to Medium Dogs
The Toy Australian Shepherd loves to play tug o’ war with knotted ropes. You can tire out even the most active Toy Australian Shepherd playing tug o’ war — although we may not save you from sore arm muscles! This set of 4 ropes are perfect for keeping your pooch entertained.
You can even tether one end to a stick in the ground when you have a smaller yard space. They may not be able to run around as much but they can use up their energy on this toy. That doesn’t mean you can skimp on the walks. It just means you have one extra means of helping manage your Toy Australian Shepherd’s energy levels.
Pet Rope chews are recommended for their fun value but they even have health benefits! Good quality rope chews clean teeth and massages gums and can also help to redirect bad biting behaviour!
KONG Air Dog Squeakair Birthday Balls Dog Toy
These tennis balls designed for dogs come in a pack of three. They’re made of rubber and soft tennis ball fabric both of which are very durable and ready to withstand the rough treatment they will undergo by your Toy Australian Shepherd. Plus, they’re very bouncy and light which makes them the perfect balls for playing fetch.
The manufacturers recommend not leaving these Kong Birthday Balls in water for extended periods of time so they’re not ideal as pool toys. Another point worth mentioning is that the squeak sound can become a little annoying after a while for some people. But aside from these minor issues, we love this toy for its durability and its fun design. Your dog will enjoy playing fetch with it or just sitting down to chew on them.
The two keys to managing your Toy Australian Shepherd’s energy levels are toys and lots and lots of exercise. Toys give them something to focus on and exercise helps them use up that energy so that they can relax later.