Toxic Food for Dogs

We all know that your Toy Australian Shepherd is probably your best friend. Kind of goes without saying, doesn’t it?? Did you know that many things we enjoy eating as humans are toxic food for dogs? It’s human nature to want our favorite companion to enjoy a taste of the high life by feeding them a piece of our luxury, gourmet food as a treat; however, the food we give to our Toy Aussie as a treat may kill at worst, or make them very sick at best because some of our best stuff is toxic food for dogs. Any Toy Aussie Shepherd owner must be acutely aware of the toxic foods for dogs, and the best thing they can do to ensure the safety of their beloved pet is to also let friends and family who come into contact with their Toy Aussie know, what the toxic food for dogs are as well. Here is a list of foods that should never, under any circumstances, be given to dogs.

Raisins and grapes are known toxic food for dogs, meaning they are very poisonous. According to the ASPCS or Animal Poison Control Centre these two items have caused poisonings in dogs multiple times. Dogs go through vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and kidney failure which can cause the death of the animal. Dogs can eat one or two grapes without too much worry, but they should never be given many. Raisins, however, are especially toxic food for dogs and even one can fatally poison your Toy Aussie.

dog food cookbook

Yeast dough should never be given to a dog in its raw state; raw yeast dough will rise in the dog’s stomach, causing blockages, ruptures and painful gas in the dog’s intestines. Baked bread is fine, as long as it is small amounts not exceeding 10% of a dog’s daily caloric intake.

Onions, garlic, chives and their powdered versions are very dangerous to dogs, as they can cause haemolytic anemia, a red blood-cell disease that will cause damage to your pet’s lymph nodes, spleen, and liver. This sounds particularly awful so we consider all of these, toxic food for dogs.

Chocolate, coffee, and caffeine are very dangerous to dogs because they can cause severe neurological and digestive problems due to the presence of methylxanthine, a stimulant. These foods cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst, excessive urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures, and in some cases, death. Dark, bitter chocolate is considered an especially toxic food for dogs.

toxic food for dogs
Toxic Food for Dogs

Avocado at first seems rather benign, but it contains persin, a fungicidal toxin which is harmless to humans but can be harmful to dogs. It is actually a very toxic food for dogs and potentially fatal if given to smaller dogs. The seeds, fruit, bark and leaves will all cause vomiting and diarrhea.

Macadamia nuts, while a common ingredient in baking and delicious to humans, will cause your Toy Aussie to feel depression, overall weakness, muscle spasms, fever and vomiting. While not fatal, it is still a toxic food for dogs. Your Toy Aussie will show symptoms within 12 hours of ingesting a macadamia nut and the symptoms will last up to 48 hours.

Eggplant is another toxic food for dogs which appears rather innocent at first. All parts of the eggplant, including the skin, fruit and seeds will cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, tremors and heart arrhythmias. The seeds are the most toxic food for dogs due to their cyanogenic glucosides, which can cause cyanide poisoning.

Alcohol should NEVER be given to your Toy Australian Shepherd; even food products that contain alcohol must be avoided at all costs. Alcohol gets absorbed incredibly fast by dogs, and your Toy Aussie will suffer severe toxic reactions such as vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous system depression, tremors, difficulty breathing, coma and even death. This is something that must be communicated to all people who come into contact and may spend time with your pet; many people view giving alcohol to a dog as a harmless prank worth a few laughs. It certainly isn’t worth your Toy Aussie’s life; so let everyone know how dangerous alcohol can be.

Milk and milk products might not be considered to be “really toxic food for dogs”, but we must remember that dogs are lactose-intolerant animals. Milk and dairy products like butter, cheese and ice cream will cause a dog intestinal distress, pain, and diarrhea. They should not be given to your Toy Australian Shepherd.

Salt, when given in excess to dogs, will do just as much, if not more , damage as it does to humans who consume too much of it. Sodium poisoning can be a result, and too much salt will also cause excessive thirst, increased urination, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, fever and seizure. Too much salt and salty snacks may actually cause a dog to die. Salt consumption for your Toy Australian Shepherd must be kept to a strict minimum.

Toxic Food for Dogs – Food for Thought!

Whilst many people have the idea that their Toy Australian Shepherd can eat everything, as we have seen above, the truth is that there are several everyday, benign-looking foods that can cause their Toy Aussie a lot of internal damage, even death as they are toxic food for dogs. A pet owner must be aware of these toxic foods and must also be vigilant that a well-intentioned stranger doesn’t feed your Toy Aussie one of these banned foods as a misguided “treat”. With more awareness, the likelihood of your Toy Australian Shepherd being accidentally poisoned will decrease dramatically.

Leave a Comment